shabby blog template

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Beijing, China was fun and exciting, maybe an eight on the awesome factor. Food was delish and probably my favorite cafe slash restaurant was "The Brown Door." The restaurant is right across the way from the Pearl Market, the "go-to" for cheap everything. It's easy to get to, due to most hotels provide a quick shuttle to the "ground zero for almost anything" mall. "The Brown Door" is usually bustling with Westerners munching on soups, noodles and stir fries. I indulged with the Broccoli (the menu said snow peas) and Cashew mix over rice (no brown rice available). My flying partner chose a spicy tofu with rice and it was a bit too spicy for my taste. The heat didn't get to me until it was half way down the throat. I gasped a few times, then it vanished. Nothing serious, but we both agreed mine was the better option. Along with our main dishes, we had a cucumber and garlic side and a fresh mango mixed green salad which we voted a 10. We had thought the cucumbers were going to be fresh, but it seemed they cooked them for a few minutes. We both enjoyed the meal and would definitely return, especially being so close to all the shopping.